Tuesday 5 January 2010

Five progressions from the tango "La Mariposa" by Pedro Maffia (lyrics by Celedonio Flores)

[In this post, I'm referring to the version with Edmundo Rivero on vocals, which can be found on the album Aníbal Troilo - RCA No.12 (1948-1949)]

9 and b9 resolve to 1, b13 resolves to 5. #5 can resolve to b5 in the context of a dominant chord (think of the whole tone scale.) These voice leading rules are all illustrated in a single background string line that runs from 1'32 to 1'39. Here are two progressions that stem from the latter, which I suggest one may practice in various keys:
1) Imin9 Imin V7(b13) V7 Imin9 Imin
2) III6 III V7(#5)/V V7(b5)/V V7(b9) V7

For your consideration, here are three additional progressions, directly transcribed or inspired from the song:
- Instead of having a I chord for a long time, here's a way of adding some motion:
3) I IImin7 #IIo7 I/3
(This progression happens to also be used in blues a lot!)
- Descending from I to V:
4) Imin Imin/b7 Io7/bb7 subV7/V V7
- Ascending from V to I:
5) V7 #Vo7 VImin7 V7/3 I

Enjoy and happy new year!

No comments: